Even in doing all the preventative measures talked about in Part One, moms still need to have a plan in treating illness when it occurs. It is our responsibility to watch over and encourage vibrant health in our families. Here are some thoughts in treating illness when it happens.
- Stay home. The world will wait. The body cannot heal and recover well when the ill person is off running around. Give your mind a rest as well.
- Use home remedies. This is a book I like to use, but there are certainly others:
- Use herbs. They are God’s pharmacy! Beware of “green” witchery, as ALL witchery is an abomination with the Lord. Psalms 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth… Here is an excellent site that I trust for information regarding herbs. They also carry a number of very helpful books.
- Heal the digestive tract. Use plenty of rice, fruit and vegetables. Use probiotics. Learn to make homemade chicken broth and keep some on hand in the freezer or canned. Here’s how I make chicken broth:
Add roughly cut carrots, celery, and onions.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least a couple hours.
Strain out vegetables and save meat for a meal.
Add salt to taste to broth, cool, and preserve.
- Increase circulation through baths, using sea salts and essential oils. Do wet sock treatments.
- Use chiropractic care. Here is the article written by my husband on ear infections, and here is the one written about Licking Doorknobs (you KNOW that sounds sick!).
- Offer plenty of liquids: water, herbal teas, electrolite drinks (such as Recharge), mild juices. No dairy, soda pop, or orange juice.
- Keep up on the supplements! I happily get mine from here, but there a lot of good, quality companies out there.
- Seek a doctor that respects YOU and comes alongside in treatment as a team member. Know when to take a family member to the doctor, and then do so.
If you’re looking for a good starting point, I’d recommend this book:
May the Lord bless your efforts to keep you and your family well!