I’m very pleased to bring you this podcast regarding the state of literacy in our nation today and what we, as mothers and fathers can do about changing that tide beginning with our very own families. This is not content just for homeschoolers! Sarah Gunning Moser is a wealth of information and insight; I’m sure you will gain much from her.
Besides writing, Sarah Gunning Moser has been married over twenty-five years. She is an Endorsed Spell to Write and Read Trainer and experienced classroom teacher, tutor, homeschooler, adult instructor, speaker, and business owner. Sarah moonlights in Seattle as a professional theatrical dresser and is a former manufacturing engineer in aircraft production.
Her passion and dream: to see America’s historical literacy restored and to introduce people to the richness of our language. Sarah dedicates her work to Jesus in this hurting world, and hopes by encouraging others she will improve their lives and knowledge of Christ through a deep love of reading.
Here is the list of resources mentioned on the podcast:
SWR program (you can get this through Sarah or from the link below)
The Teacher Who Couldn’t Read, by John Corcoran (you can get this through Sarah), ISBN-10: 1427798303, ISBN-13: 978-1427798305
America: to Pray? Or Not to Pray?, by David Barton (you can get this through Sarah)
McCall Crabbs: Standard Test Lessons in Reading, Books A-E [Hardcover],ISBN-10: 1880045257, ISBN-13: 978-1880045251 [published by Back Home Industries – must be this one to be accurate], (you can get this through Sarah)
The Bridge to Literacy, by John Corcoran, ISBN-13 # 978-1-4277-9830-5
The Harsh Truth About Public Schools, by Bruce N. Shortt, ISBN # 978-1-891375-23-1
The Ayres’ List: A Measuring Scale for Ability in Spelling, ISBN-10: 0880620390, ISBN-13: 978-0880620390
The Writing Road to Reading, by Romalda Spalding (blue book), ISBN # 0-688-10007-4
IndoctriNation DVD, ASIN: B006074Q3O
The Latin Road to English Grammar (this company also sells an excellent phonics program but it is video based. That being said, if video is what would work best for your family, this the one to get! It is based on the very same research as SWR)
- “Book Reviews for Bibliophiles” are professional book reviews she does for the following publishers:
1. Thomas Nelson Publishers
3. Bethany House (includes Baker Publishing and Chosen Publishing)
4. Several other smaller publishers
- “Homeschool Tips (and You)” includes tips on making your homeschooling years better, teaching tips, curriculum reviews, links to useful homeschool product sites or web sites
- “SWR and You” includes how-tos for anyone using SWR in classrooms or homeschools, tutoring tips, teaching tips, often-overlooked parts of the program, teaching tips for junior high or high school students, alerts on new products
- “The Word Geek” includes information on interesting words in the English language, their etymology, history, and usage, as well as occasional information on useful web sites and other resources
- Blog tours for writers Gilbert Morris and New YorkTimes best-selling author Davis Bunn as well as up and coming writer Janalyn Voigt and others
- Occasional contests for free copies of books reviewed (as made available by publishers)
- Questions I will pose in blog articles asking you to chime in via the “Contact” Form and join — or begin — an online discussion. Join us!